How to Choose Between Cedar & Hemlock Saunas
Posted on 11 September 2023
When it comes to setting up your own home sauna, you'll encounter various decisions to make, from the type of sauna kits to the sauna heaters. One of the crucial choices you'll face is selecting the wood for your sauna, with cedar and hemlock being popular options. At SaunaFin, we offer our customers a wide range of customization options, including our timber options. When you shop sauna kits and prefab saunas from SaunaFin, you can choose from clear or knotty cedar or hemlock.
Read on for insights on how to navigate the decision-making process between cedar and hemlock saunas at SaunaFin.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Sauna
As you explore your sauna wood options, it helps to have a few factors to compare.
- Budget: Consider your budget when deciding between cedar and hemlock saunas. Determine how much you would like to invest initially and what the long-term return of that spend will get you.
- Aesthetic Preferences: Your personal taste and the style of your home sauna can also influence your choice. Cedar saunas offer a warm, traditional appearance, while hemlock saunas offer a cleaner, simple, modern appearance.
- Maintenance:Cedar saunas require less maintenance due to their natural resistance to decay and insects.
- Heat Resistance: Both cedar and hemlock are suitable for saunas, but cedar's exceptional heat resistance makes it a top choice for those who prefer higher sauna temperatures.
- Aroma: Cedar's pleasant, aromatic scent is a significant advantage if you enjoy the added sensory experience in your sauna.
- Availability: Depending on your location and the suppliers in your area, one wood type may be more readily available than the other, affecting your choice.
Cedar Sauna Kits
Cedar wood is a popular choice for saunas, and for good reason. It's known for its natural resistance to decay and insects, making it an excellent option for the hot and humid conditions inside a sauna. The enticing aroma is another advantage of cedar, enhancing the overall sauna experience by adding to the spa-like experience.
Cedar saunas are not only durable but also visually appealing. The rich hue and saturation of cedar adds warmth and character to home sauna, making it an inviting space. Even at extremely high temperatures experienced in the sauna, cedar will last without warping or cracking, ensuring the longevity of your sauna.
Hemlock Home Saunas
Hemlock wood is another wood type commonly used for saunas. It's appreciated for its light color and straight grain, providing a clean and modern aesthetic. Hemlock saunas often have a more minimalist appearance, appealing to those who prefer a simpler design.
Hemlock is a stable wood choice, resistant to temperature fluctuations and humidity, making it suitable for sauna use. While it may not have the same natural resistance to insects as cedar, it can still hold up well in sauna conditions with proper care and maintenance.
Clear Wood vs. Knotty Wood: Which One's Right for You?
Clear wood, as the name suggests, features a smooth and knot-free appearance. It's an excellent choice if you want a pristine and refined look for your sauna. Clear wood is carefully selected to eliminate any imperfections, creating a clean and elegant aesthetic.
On the other hand, knotty wood embraces the natural character of the wood, showcasing knots and other imperfections. Knotty wood saunas have a rustic and charming appeal, perfect for those who appreciate the wood's unique beauty. They are often more budget-friendly compared to clear wood saunas.
Your preference for clear or knotty wood can further influence your decision when selecting between cedar and hemlock saunas. Cedar saunas are available in both clear and knotty varieties, allowing you to choose the style that aligns with your aesthetic preferences. Hemlock saunas, on the other hand, often feature a cleaner appearance due to the wood's straight grain, making them a great choice for those who prefer clear wood aesthetics.
Build Your Dream Sauna with SaunaFin
Consider your desired sauna ambiance and the visual impact you want to achieve when deciding between clear and knotty wood for your cedar or hemlock sauna. Both options offer distinct charm and appeal, allowing you to create a sauna space that reflects your personal style. Choose from sauna heaters, accessories, and custom designs from SaunaFin.