Studies Suggest Barrel Saunas Prevent High Blood Pressure
Posted in Health benefits of sauna, on December 13, 2021
Barrel saunas have become increasingly popular in western society as a way to fight health issues like obesity, high blood pressure and stress. Studies have implied that regular home sauna use can help lower blood pressure and improve cardiovascular health. A study conducted by the University of Eastern Finland and Kuopio University Hospital indicated that in a matter of less than two months a person can begin to see significant reductions in blood pressure from taking saunas consistently. Check out our barrel sauna kits today if you are interested in helping to reduce your blood pressure!
The largest study, conducted by the University of Jyväskylä in Finland, found that two years of sauna bathing reduced participants’ systolic blood pressure by an average of 11 mm Hg. Systolic blood pressure is the top number in a blood pressure reading, and it represents the force exerted as the heart pumps blood throughout the body. An average reduction in systolic blood pressure of 11 mm Hg corresponded to a 23-24% reduction in the risk of death from cardiovascular disease
The saunas tested were traditional Finnish barrel saunas with temperatures reaching 165 degrees Farenheit and produced almost no humidity. The researchers split their test group of participants into two separate factions. One group used the saunas twice per week for one month and the other group three times per week for two weeks. After four weeks results showed that the group using the sauna twice per week was able to lower their systolic blood pressure by an average of 10 points; however, the group using the sauna three times per week lowered their systolic blood pressure by an average of 17.5 points.
Importance of Good Blood Pressure
- Blood pressure is the force that pushes the blood throughout the body by the contraction of the heart and its valves.
- It's a fact that high blood pressure (also called hypertension) can have a number of significant consequences, such as heart attack and stroke.
- The National Center For Biotechnology Information also notes that when left untreated, high blood pressure can cause "retinal damage, chronic kidney disease and dementia."
- Barrel saunas are said to be useful in lowering blood pressure and reducing the risk of these health issues.
- These benefits are said to come from their ability to allow users to achieve physiological relaxation by increasing the heart rate, warmth and low oxygen levels.
- Barrel saunas are also said to be useful in the treatment and management of stress, anxiety, depression and insomnia.
Shop our Barrel Sauna kits at SaunaFin to reduce your blood pressure and improve your overall health. With our barrel sauna kits you can build your own barrel sauna of your very own. The kits include all the lumber, hardware and sauna accessories required to build a high quality, American made barrel sauna in your home. Visit us now for custom sauna options.