How to Enjoy Your Outdoor Sauna in the Winter
Posted on 23 June 2023
Outdoor saunas can be the perfect getaway from the treacherous winters we experience in Canada. A short trip to your backyard sauna can significantly impact your mental and physical health. As saunas are suitable for year-round use, it's best to use them, especially in the winter, no matter the type. Whether you have an indoor, cabin, or barrel sauna, take advantage of its benefits.
Read more to get tips on optimizing your outdoor sauna experience this winter.
Keeping Your Sauna in Tip-Top Shape
With frequent use, we want to ensure your sauna stays in excellent condition to avoid constant maintenance visits. Some tips to keep your sauna good as new include:
- Covering it when not in use (mainly for barrel saunas)
- Keeping it clean (using a light detergent and warm water to remove stains)
- Air it out after use (rid your sauna of any excess moisture after use)
- Keep vents and door open (to speed up the drying process)
Maximizing The Use of Your Sauna
Though we encourage you to use your sauna as much as possible, we advise that you do so in moderation. Overusing your sauna can result in dehydration and heightened blood pressure; therefore, aim to use your sauna no more than 2-3 times a week.
Ensure you are taking the proper steps to achieve the best results from your sauna.
- Hydration: Staying hydrated before and after your sauna session is essential, as you sweat large amounts. If you opt for a more extended sauna session, drink water throughout for optimal hydration.
- Shower before: Shower before your sauna sitting as dry skin tends to sweat faster than moist.
- Towels: Ensure you are sitting or laying on a towel in the sauna to avoid making contact with the wood.
- Cool down: It is essential to take part in the cooling down process. Take a washcloth and ice-cold water and distribute it on your body. This will not only make your skin feel smoother but lock in the sauna's benefits.
Enhancing The Experience
Did you think your sauna experience could get any more relaxing? Adding elements like music can enhance that relaxation state to get the most out of your sauna. Studies show that music can help to relax even more by calming your senses and forcing your mind to focus on it instead of everyday worries. Simply adding a speaker into your sauna can help deepen that relaxation.
Enhance your experience with aromatherapy. There is an equal distribution throughout saunas, especially barrel saunas, as they are rounded. Simply add a few drops of essential oil of your choice into the water bucket, and the sauna will do the rest. Sit back and enjoy the calming scents.
Find Your Perfect Barrel Sauna at SaunaFin
Feel free to contact SaunaFin for more information and tips on amplifying your sauna experience and shopping prefab and indoor sauna kits. Our team is made up of highly-experienced professionals with your best interest in mind. We pride ourselves on outstanding customer service and high-quality materials, from premium cedar to high-level accessories.